Sunday, July 8, 2012

Let All Things Become New

Today I woke up and saw the beautiful blue sky, the sun shining through my windows, heard the birds chirping and thought, "What a perfect day to go into the House of the Lord and worship."

My thoughts were not unknown to the enemy it is quite apparent. Upon awaking I realized that I had snoozed after hitting the alarm, it was now 45 minutes till church started. Jumping out of bed, I nearly killed myself but then proceeded to be the happy, excited, "We can do this" Mom. The enemy did not prevail. The daughter who usually takes hours to get ready, did so in record time. We were out the door and I was sitting in a seat before the music started. My heart rejoiced!

But then, things took a downward spiral. As I sat alone, my heart became burdened that my son was far away, my daughter, whom I had asked to sit with me in church, quickly found another project to involve herself with, and that I am without a ministry to be a part of. Something is wrong with this picture.

I listened intently to the sermon and was deeply moved by the Holy Spirit. I have prayed for years that God would pour out His blessing on Cornerstone, but only when we were completely within His will. For a very long time, my heart has agonized over the church. We have become a carbon copy of so many other churches. Programs, small groups, music.... It's identical to half the churches in town. Where is the power of God moving amongst His people? Where are the hearts yearning to grow and learn? Why, when a prayer meeting occurs only a handful of people bother to attend? My hurt cannot compare to the anguish Christ has over His Bride.

We are His Bride and yet we act like we are single. No ties to anyone or anything. We do as we please. We are focused on entertainment. We seek pleasure over the pain of growth. And in the process we are reaping exactly what we rightfully deserve: Wayward children, broken homes, apathy for the lost and momentary happiness that is founded in the passing pleasures the world has to offer.

Change is coming. I am eagerly anticipating great things at Cornerstone. They begin now. With me. There is nowhere I would rather be this evening than seeking the face of God. God is answering the prayer of my heart. Tonight begins 22 days of prayer and fasting, worship and scripture, corporate and individual revival. May Cornerstone Church become a home to the outpouring of the Holy Spirit, may we be a people passionate for the gospel, may we never be satisfied with the status quo but earnestly seek to become holy and blameless before our heavenly Father.



No comments:

Post a Comment